All | # | A | B | C | D | E | F | G | H | I | J | K | L | M | N | O | P | Q | R | S | T | U | V | W | X | Y | Z
- OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer)
- Originally, this term referred to the company that supplied equipment to other companies to resell or incorporate into another product using the reseller's brand name. More recently, however, the term is used to mean the company that acquires a product or component and reuses or incorporates it into a new product with its own brand name. For example, in the original meaning, High Tech Computer Corporation (HTC) is an OEM for many mobile phones from different carriers. With the newer meaning, the phone is said to be manufactured by HTC but the firmware is from the OEM which may be a carrier or another company selling the device with their brand name. When used in this website and product documentation, the newer meaning of OEM is applied.
- Offline content
- Information which is downloaded from the internet or another network to be read later. Many programs, such as AvantGo, allow the making of online content offline where there is an inexpensive internet connect to be read when such a connection is not present, or when the use of an internet connection is undesirable.
- On the fly
- A command to perform an action, like a change in settings, immediately rather than performing it through a control panel and dialog box. That is, a shortcut, one command, to performing an action or changing the state of the device which can be accomplished from anywhere rather than from the interface where the change is usually made.
- On the go
- A thing that is usually done through a computer but which can be done on a mobile device. That is, if a mobile device can collect and display electronic messages, reading those messages is done on the go rather than in front of a desktop or laptop computer.
- One-handed operation
- An operating system or program, like Windows Mobile Smartphone/Standard, which is structured so that a person may perform major commands with one hand as, for example, by the provision of numbered menu items which can be accessed without needing to look at the unit’s screen or press more than one key.
- Online form
- A form that is filled in on a web page loaded using an internet connection, and that sends its contents directly to the Code Factory database rather than, for example, a form filled in by email or sent in print which must be manually entered into the database by Code Factory staff.
- Operating system
- The basic software that permits a computing device to function and allows it other software to communicate with the device hardware. Code Factory products are all for a specific operating system, so the name of the operating system on a device is an important fact about that device.
- To increase a processor’s speed through an unauthorized software or hardware modification to a computing device. This often makes a device faster, but also increases the heat produced by the device, which must be dissipated to prolong the processor’s useful life, and decreases the battery life of the device.